Friday, July 17, 2015

Wendi's Faves


Well, I heard it through the grapevine that you might want to know some of the favourite cheeses of mine!

This is a question that I get regularly here at and one that I find so difficult to answer.  But I thought that maybe I would take a stab at this...but be prepared, the list may be a long one!

In the soft cheese category, Sauvagine Reserve is the one that always is on my cheeseboard when it is available.  Sauvagine both the edition that is regularly available and the Reserve, from Quebec is a fabulous surface-ripened cheese...in other words a brie although we are really not allowed to call these bries as they do not originate from the two regions of France, Ile-de-France and Champagne thought to be the birthplace of brie.  Sauvagine Reserve is only available certain times of the year and since this weekend is my birthday, I will be sneaking a piece from the half wheel that is left from the June release for my birthday cheeseboard.  Look for Sauvagine Reserve for your Thanksgiving and Christmas celebrations which is the next time it will be available. But I will have a special on the regular Sauvagine starting next week (July 20) through the Civic Day weekend.

There is nothing like an aged Ontario Cheddar....these are getting like winning the lottery to find these days.  Sadly, the proliferation of cheap blocks of garbage in the grocery stores have affected the fine aged cheeses.  
C'est Cheese Please! Custom Smoked Cheddar - I love, love, love this!  I have a 2 year old cheddar custom smoked for me and it is delicious!  Alone or try making a panini with fresh tomato and the Beet and Red Onion Marmalade from Wildly Delicious which is also available here at C'est Cheese Please!

I have a number of blue cheeses that I really like.  Roaring 40's from Tazmania, Le Bleu d'Elisabeth and Bleu d'Auvergne are all fabulous.  And when I think about baking a brie, I like to do that with one of the small wheels of Borgonzola (a brie, gorgonzola combination)....just a bit different and delicious with a fruit comport...lots of those to choose from here at the store!

BellaVitano is one of my top sellers...the Merlot is so popular however, my favorite is the Espresso-coated one.  This goes so well with a big red wine....think Ripasso or a Cabernet Sauvingnon and if it has notes of chocolate to it, it is even better!

One other one that is appropriate for now is the Buffalo Mozzarella - I do not like Bocaccini which I find rubbery and tasteless but the Buffalo Mozzarella has a creamy texture and mild flavour that is perfect for Caprese Salad or pizza or how about with this Heirloom Tomato, Mozzarella and Stone Fruit Salad?

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment